Buddhism is one of the world’s oldest and most popular religions, with over 500 million followers worldwide. Buddhist temples are places of worship and meditation for Buddhists, and they can also be beautiful and inspiring places to visit for people of all faiths.
Here are 10 of the most famous Buddhist temples in the world:
- Mahabodhi Temple, Bodh Gaya, India: This temple is the site where Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism, is said to have attained enlightenment. It is one of the most sacred Buddhist sites in the world.
- Borobudur, Magelang, Indonesia: This massive Buddhist temple complex was built in the 9th century and is one of the largest Buddhist temples in the world. It is a UNESCO World Heritage .
- Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia: This Hindu-Buddhist temple complex is the largest religious monument in the world and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Cambodia. It is a UNESCO World Heritage .
- Potala Palace, Lhasa, Tibet: This massive palace was the winter residence of the Dalai Lama until 1959. It is now a museum and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Tibet.
- Todai-ji Temple, Nara, Japan: This temple is home to the Great Buddha of Nara, the largest bronze statue of Buddha in the world. It is a UNESCO World Heritage .
- Kinkaku-ji Temple (Golden Pavilion), Kyoto, Japan: This Zen Buddhist temple is known for its golden exterior and beautiful gardens. It is a UNESCO World Heritage .
- Horyu-ji Temple, Nara, Japan: This temple is one of the oldest wooden buildings in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage.
- Dharmachakra Temple, Sarnath, India: This temple marks the spot where Buddha is said to have given his first sermon after attaining enlightenment. It is one of the four most holy Buddhist sites in the world.
- Jetavana Monastery, Sravasti, India: This was once one of the largest and most important Buddhist monasteries in the world. It is now a UNESCO World Heritage .
- Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka: This ancient city is home to many Buddhist temples and ruins, including the Sri Maha Bodhi tree, which is said to be the oldest living tree in the world. Anuradhapura is a UNESCO World Heritage .
These are just a few of the many famous Buddhist temples in the world. If you are interested in learning more about Buddhism or visiting some of these beautiful temples, I encourage you to do some research and plan a trip.